Thursday, October 30, 2014

Google Demos New Lego-Style Smartphone


The team behind Project Ara at Google recently published a video showing a fully working prototype of a Lego-style smartphone. Ara is a smartphone Google is working on that has fully replaceable parts. This means that if one is unhappy or desires to change an aspect of their phone they can do so without having to buy a new one. A camera, or battery, can be easily replaced and integrated into the phone. By having interchangeable parts electronic waste will slow down, and their will be much more customization for the users says Jay McGregor at forbes.com. This new technology revolutionizes the cellular industry and, I believe, benefits the users. An official release day still hasn’t been released but there will be updates at upcoming developer conferences in January.

Watch the video at: Phonebloks Update: Ara Prototype
A Prototype of ARA

5 comments:

  1. This is a really neat innovation that has the potential to change the smartphone market. Since I understand that you are well aware of financial stresses, do you have any idea as to how the pricing will work? A base price for the basic set up, then additional surcharges for each component? Will it be able to compete physically and financially with other, more established smartphones on the market?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about this a few months ago but then I forgot about it, so thanks for reminding me. I really like this idea because the same phone can be suited for many different uses. For example, if a photographer owns the phone, they can improve photo and video quality, if somebody likes to play a lot of games, they could add more space, etc.I think it's really useful and I think it has a lot of potential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really believe that once this hits the market it will gain a lot of support because it makes it easier for the buyer to replace the parts of the phone. I even think that when it comes out I will most likely buy it even though I have supported Apple for a long time. It just shows how much control and impact google has.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had heard about a similar device called the block phone. I am curious how these are similar. I also wonder if the parts can be produced by third party companies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is really unique and the public will find it very interesting as well. I am still a bit confused, however. We they said they are going to have replaceable things, what exactly are they going to be able to replace? You mentioned a camera, but what about it? Aren't cellphones already very customizable?

    ReplyDelete